D : Not for me anymore

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at nospam.org
Mon Oct 16 23:33:10 PDT 2006

Derek Parnell wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> Derek Parnell wrote:

>>>Actually, when I wrote "take Phobos", I really meant "take Phobos". You
>>>would no longer have *the* sole controlling vote on what goes in or goes
>>>out of phobos, nor would you have sole control over when new libraries were
>>>released for general consumptuion.
>>
>>Maybe after 1.0. I'm pretty reluctant to do so earlier.
>
> That's what I thought. I didn't really think that you meant what you said
> earlier ...
>
>>> Are you saying that, for example, you would have no problems with
>>> Phobos being taken from DigitalMars and moved to DSource so that
>>> everyone who needed to could get to submit changes to the library
>>> that would actually be applied.
>>
>> The license for the Phobos source code certainly allows that, and
>> that's part of the point of having the license be that way. So no,
>> I have no problem with that.
>
>>That said, it still doesn't impede anyone else from working on Phobos.
>
> What impedes me is you. The few times I have submitted a Phobos change to
> you, you have dismissed them as not worthy of the effort.

It's not like anyone has a *right* to get his code accepted.

One might submit reams of code, or one might be a Distinguished Member
of the community, but every line of the code still has to earn its
merits by itself!

The reasons of rejection may not be obvious to the submitter, but we
have no reason to suspect Walter's motivation or impartiality! Or judgment.

And certainly one should not get personal about it.

---

As should be clear by now, it's free for anyone to set up Another Phobos
right now. We might even have several different on separate servers. If
any of these then turn up with worthy code, it could be copied to the
others (or to the Official Phobos, if Walter so chooses).

And even before 1.0, if then somebody fancies one of the Independent
Phoboses better than the original, then it's free to use that instead.
(Then of course one would assume all responsibility for
incompatibilities with 3rd party libraries or other code that may arise
from the chosen Phobos possibly being "too fancy". But that's life.)