D : Not for me anymore

Jari-Matti Mäkelä jmjmak at utu.fi.invalid
Tue Oct 17 03:04:32 PDT 2006

John Reimer wrote:
> As a GUI framework,
> however, SWT seems comprehensive and powerful.  It's just not a
> well-recognized or an easily learned solution.

The only programs using SWT that I know of are Eclipse and Azureus.
They're both slower than anything I've ever seen (including most of the
Swing using programs). It takes a forever to start either of them,
changing tabs/perspectives is just like watching a slide show and
writing text has an average lag of 1-2 seconds. Maybe it's because I'm
only running a 2.x GHz AMD with 1 GB of RAM and a KDE desktop, but IMHO
apps on my old PC (Pentium 100, 32 of RAM, Win98/X11+Fluxbox) are way
more responsive than any SWT app on the newer box.