Wiki4D accounts?

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Tue Oct 17 16:49:26 PDT 2006

jcc7 wrote:
> == Quote from Bill Baxter (wbaxter at gmail.com)'s article
>> Yep I saw that, entered a name, and it gave me a response like "invalid
>> username" so I figured that meant I had to make an account first.  Is
>> there some sort of restriction on what constitutes a valid user name?
>> --bb
>
> I don't know what the rule is, but something like FirstnameLastname should work.
> It probably wants you to start with a capital letter and have at least another
> capital letter in their somewhere. Kind of like a WikiWord. If you look at the
> News page (http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?browse=RecentChanges), you can
> see what other people have used as usernames.

I see.   The "edit preferences" page is definitely not clear about that.
  It just says "e.g. PeterSmith".  Not that "It must be OneWordCamelCase
just like PeterSmith".

And the error page that comes up if you violate that rule is no help
either.  It just says the username is invalid, not what rule you broke.

I added an explanation of that to the GuestBook page.  Looks like that's
the best I can do as a mere user.  It would be best, though, if the
Preferences page could have short blurb explaining the rules for usernames.

--bb