Would there be interest in a SERIOUS compile-time regex parser?

Knud Sørensen 12tkvvb02 at sneakemail.com
Tue Oct 17 18:00:09 PDT 2006

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:23:33 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:

> Don Clugston wrote:
>> There's a potential piece of syntax sugar that IMHO would be a killer
>> feature. If it were possible to overload a function based on whether a
>> parameter is a compile-time literal, or a variable, the use of template
>> metaprogramming could become completely invisible to the user.
>
> That is a good idea.

That put a crazy idea into my head.

disclaimer: My education is in physics not computer science,
I have no idea of how to write a compiler so my view may be very wrong ;-)

I have previously suggested that D handle functions on compile-time
literal by making them inline and let the optimizer evaluate them.

Would it be possible to combine the template-engine and the optimizer
such that one of them could be refactored away ??