my demise / D 1.0 around the corner

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Wed Oct 18 20:35:36 PDT 2006

clayasaurus wrote:
> Richard Koch wrote:
>> tried to get d as the language of choice (daring) for a card projrct.
>> it took almost 4 month with my ordering, threatening and ...
>>
>> things died because of
>>
>> 1.) no gui lib with builder
>> 2.) any other language had usable libs, extensions and standard algos
>> 3.) competing standard libraries
>> 4.) no foreseeable releases (such as 1.0)
>>
>> most horrifying was the lack of an integrated editor debugger thingy.
>>
>> as a user i think it is becoming at least deterring
>>

>> richard
>>

>> ps
>>
>> even so i forced people for a long time, we are doing it noe in c#
>> (kind   of kills me)
>
> For 3), what's so bad about competition that stops you from doing work
> with D?
>
> For 4) True enough, although it feels like that D 1.0 is right around
> the corner.

I think you're right.

There are always going to be things that can be improved.  A big 1.0
total-feature-freeze-no-new-incompatibilities-ever release is never
going to happen so that shouldn't be the goal.

If you look at the evolution of C and C++ there were certainly additions
after "1.0" that caused a few incompatibilities.  Like the transition
from KnR C to ANSI C or the addition of bool/true/false keywords to C++.
   The way those were handled was generally with compiler flags in the
transition periods.

D can use that strategy.

And future D's can still introduce incompatibilities.

1.0 just says, "this release will be maintained and stay accessible with
the current feature set for a good long while".  It doesn't say progress
will stop or that all future developments will be backwards compatible.
  It just says that you can count on having 1.0 features for a while,
with the only changes being bugfixes.

Well, that's my feeling anyway.  And I definitely didn't feel ready to
say that a few months back.

--bb