A programmer economy, D style?

Tiberiu Gal galtiberiu at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 13:33:18 PDT 2006

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 23:06:53 +0300, Pragma
<ericanderton at yahoo.removeme.com> wrote:

> Georg Wrede wrote:

>>> Actually there where (one mine), but it was ineligible to participate.
>>> The reason was: proposals must be submitted under the respective mentor
>>> organizations, and if there is no mentor organization for the proposal,
>>> it can be submitted to Google. However this year's SoC (unlike the
>>> previous one) such applications without mentor organization must have a
>>> high "academic research focus", and when I found that out it was too
>>> late for new mentor organizations to sign up (one representing D was
>>> needed). :(
>>> I think it's an opportunity that should not be missed next year.
>>  I've been thinking about this..........
>>   IF there was as site where companies could specify apps,
>> segments-of-apps, classes, or downright functions that they wanted to
>> have, and if they specified how much they'd pay for them, how many
>> people here would want to sign up as "potential coders"?
>>  It's not like this were my dream to host, but given enough
>> encouragement, support, or motivation, then I might really consider it.
>> (And, of course, anyone else is free to set up a competing web site
>> right now, without asking me.)
>>  For a customer ready to adopt D, this would be an excellent way of
>> jumping up to speed. And, for a company _not_ yet ready to use D, this
>> could be an opportunity to acquire well programmed, fast and robust
>> prototypes, for a fraction of the cost of ordering them the reagular
>> way from SW-houses.
>>  Opinions?
>>

> I've seen something like this before, but I'll be damned if I can
> remember any specific URLs.  There's a few sites like this online that
> do in fact farm out piece-meal work.  An individual with enough time and
> skill can make a decent amount of cash out there doing slews of meager
> (handfuls of hours each) contracts.
>
> I'll add that I recall seeing quite a few "write me a COM component
> which will do X" requests out there that seemed fairly technology
> agnostic.  To those customers, it's about the end-product rather than
> the codebase.  This would be one way someone could guerrilla-market D by
> making inroads and establishing a profile as a freelance D coder.
>
> But I see what you mean.
>
> My $0.02: Would you be satisfied with setting up a 'Classifieds' section
> in the dsource forum?  I can't speak to this directly, but I'm sure Brad
> would go for it.  Another option would be to ask Walter if he'd set up a
> "d.D.classified" newsgroup.  Either way, given that the community is
> still kind of small, a bounty-is-optional model might get things moving
> a bit faster at first.

I know some sites in this area, but what can we do to attract buyers to D?
There are a lot of jobs given out for c/c++ coders that can be done using
D.
One can bid for the job and do it in D(end users don't realy care about
which
language is used for development), but the code in most likely to be closed
and property of the buyer. That's not a big help for the community(maybe a
bit of advertiement on D)