D : Not for me anymore

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Thu Oct 19 16:50:49 PDT 2006

Georg Wrede wrote:
> Kristian wrote:
>> So maybe we should have contents on APIs first. When we got the base
>> structure right, we can make competitions on parts (e.g. functions,
>> classes) that should be efficient, or hard to implement. Bulk
>> (trivial)  stuff can be implemented outside the competitions later.
>> Also, API  implementations should include documentation.
>
> I think an API competition should definitely be in two stages:
>
>  - compete on the most useful and best spec
>  - then compete on the most elegant implementations of the winning spec

Design, then code, is the development approach that everyone advocates.
It's also the approach nobody uses <g>. Design/code/design/code...
iteratively is the real process. There's a good reason for that - too
often when implementing a design we discover that the design won't work
or could at least be improved.