D : Not for me anymore

Karen Lanrap karen at digitaldaemon.com
Fri Oct 20 10:24:19 PDT 2006

Bill Baxter wrote:

> You generally flow down the steps from top to bottom, but at
> *any* stage you can get loops back up higher.

Are you sure?

Assume an idealized situation where you take over a team of 10
designers and 490 coders.

Your team has projects A and B in the pipeline.

Project A is in the beginning of the design phase, planned duration
two years, and project B is in the beginning of the coding phase,
planned duration also two years.

your remaining budgets:
for designing project A   4,000,000 $
for coding project B    147,000,000 $

This means every month delay will cost you at least 6,000,000 $

Now one of your 490 coders comes to you saying: "I am unable to
implement this because of erroneous design."

Are you willing to "sell" this detection to your management, your
sponsor or your loan officer?

And if you change positions: are you willing to "buy" such statements
from yourself?

"Dear Sir, I have a plan to produce software that only costs you
150,000,000$. My main production plan consists of repeated designing
and coding, because every design is flawed. But although every design
is flawed I am sure I do not need more money than what I said
before."