D : Not for me anymore

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Fri Oct 20 14:57:17 PDT 2006

Karen Lanrap wrote:
> Now one of your 490 coders comes to you saying: "I am unable to
> implement this because of erroneous design."
>
> Are you willing to "sell" this detection to your management, your
> sponsor or your loan officer?

Yes, because you have two alternatives:

1) Fix the design, and take the $6,000,000 lump.

2) Ignore the problem, hope it goes away, and in the end have to write
off the whole $147,000,000.

As Exhibit A of approach (2), may I suggest the Denver airport baggage
handling system. I've also read now an then in the paper about other
government software projects, like one for the FBI, that cost in the
hundreds of millions of dollars, and needed to be scrapped completely
because of flawed design.