Red black trees

Kyle Furlong kylefurlong at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 18:03:17 PDT 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Red black trees are one of those basic collection types that should be
> available. Anyone want to write one for D for placement into Phobos?

Did anyone else read this and go "WTH"? Wouldn't it be better to
actually bless a community based standard library effort, than take
submissions piecemeal whenever you feel like it? Sure red black trees
are a basic collection that most people will need at some point, but why
  isn't it being made part of a larger templated collections portion of
the library?

I know for a fact that there is a group of people who would gladly take
up the standard library torch and run with it, people who would be
accountable to you and the community, with open source, documentation,
and a roadmap for development.

Its this kind of lack of vision which I think will retard D's evolution
into a production language, so that it forever remains at the level of
hobbyist hackery.