Lisp vs. C++ (not off-topic)

Lionello Lunesu lionello at lunesu.remove.com
Fri Oct 20 23:20:47 PDT 2006

"Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown at simplemachines.org> wrote in message
news:ehcbui$ip8$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
> I'm afraid not.  Margin controls the amount of spacing outside the box,
> against other boxes or the outside edge of the browser.
>
> Thus, if you want the box to be at least 600px wide on a 800px, 1024px, or
> 1600px screen (not even beginning to talk about un-maximized browser
> windows!)... you cannot use a fixed margin to achieve this.  Using a
> percentage wouldn't be too bad, but would cause their to be much
> scrollable space on the right.
>
> Unless you mean something else, and I'm misunderstanding you?

Well, why would anyone (Walter in this case) want to use "width"? Probably
to prevent the code-box from touching the edges of the page. The problem
with "width" was that it can make the box too small for its contents. That's
why I suggested using "margin" instead. It prevents the box from touching
the edges but never smaller than the longest line inside the box.. But that
was of course before I knew "min-width" existed :)

L.