Contributing to the compiler? Tracking suggestions?

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Sun Oct 22 23:27:52 PDT 2006

I take it there's not enough DMD code provided to actually compile
anything, right? There at least aren't any makefiles...  GDC is
available for hacking, but how useful is a patch against GDC to Walter?

In general, what are the best ways to help keep this D-train on chugging
forward?  Are compiler patches useful?  Library code?  Apps?  Wrappers?
  Bug reports?

I guess what I'm looking for is a big fat "How can I help?" page
somewhere.  It would make a good top-level page for Wiki4D, for instance.

As far as suggestions go, what's the best way to keep them from getting
lost?  Wiki4D has a "proposals" section [1], but it's not very populated
-- only 5, one of which I added, which is quite few considering that
about that many suggestions show up on the newsgroup every week.

There's also the tracker for D [2], but a comment on one enhancement
proposal I saw there says that the D issue tracker is reserved for
suggestions that received positive feedback from Walter, but many good
ideas are just ignored by Walter until like 90% the community jumps up
and down about it simultaneously.

Finally there's the Unofficial D Wish List [3], but that seems to be
rather out of date/seldom pruned, as it includes old things like "add
opIn", duplicates ("System.Windows.Forms"), and just irrelevant things
like "This list makes a difference?".

--bb

[1]  http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?IdeaDiscussion
[2]  http://d.puremagic.com/issues/