Question/suggestion about exceptions

Graham St Jack grahams at acres.com.au
Mon Oct 23 16:58:16 PDT 2006

Is there a way to automatically keep track of what exceptions may be
thrown by a function or method? Ideally, what I am looking for is
something like Java's "throws" keyword, but I would be happy with almost
anything.

It is way too hard to develop reliable code of any size that uses
exceptions extensively, because as things change, you lose track of what
exceptions are thrown from where. Some sort of compiler support would
make this a lot easier.

What I had in mind was an optional compiler warning and a new "throws"
keyword. The compiler would (optionally) issue a warning if a function
or method can throw an exception that it hasn't declared that it
"throws". With this assistance, it becomes is easy to keep track of what
can be thrown from where. Making it a warning and optional stops it from
breaking existing code, and makes quick code hacks easy to write still.

Thoughts?