Sorry

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Wed Oct 25 18:04:00 PDT 2006

he_the_great wrote:
> Now I am still new to programming, but I don't see the need to implement
> Java style anything. Why do we need easy translation from Java to D?

Because there's about a gazillion lines of Java code out there.  Whether
you like Java or don't, Java is very very popular, and there are tons of
useful libraries and applications written in it.  Also, as you noted
below, the syntax is pretty similar.  Probably the most similar to D of
any currently popular language.

> D isn't trying to be an improvement on Java (eg C#), but an improvement on
> C.

But Java was also trying to be an improvement on C/C++.

> Not only that but Java is a bloated object only language.
> I also have found, other than GUI stuff, Java is very easy to translate
> into D. I know I haven't programed anything extremely complicated, but
> the basics never really change.

The only reason people are interested in automatically translating Java
to D is because if such a thing existed, it would be possible to
basically to increase the amount of tested, quality code accessible to D
users by 100X or more, practically overnight.

--bb