The purpose of D (GC rant, long)

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Thu Oct 26 17:00:29 PDT 2006

BCS wrote:
> How much does the runtime, generated code and Phobos depend on the GC?
> Does it try to optimize out allocations or delete things it can?
> For example, does this preform one allocation or several?

DMD isn't very good at eliminating unnecessary temporaries. This isn't a
defect in D, but in DMD. DMC++ is pretty good at eliminating unnecessary
temporaries, not because C++ is better, but because I put a lot of
effort into that aspect (for example, mine was the first to do the
"named return value" optimization).