The purpose of D (GC rant, long)

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Fri Oct 27 06:37:02 PDT 2006

Dave wrote:

> As an aside, academia moving away from explicit memory managed languages
> in their curriculum's is probably producing quite a few programmers who
> know very little about memory management and how it can effect performance.

Yup.  This is one of my major complaints about using Java in place of
C++ as a teaching language.  Sure, it allows the focus to be on the
algorithm instead of all the peripheral aspects, but the result is
students who aren't aware of the peripheral aspects.  The cost of
virtual methods is another issue.  I'd rather students suffer through a
bit of additional complexity and end up not needing the additional
experience they've gained than be ignorant of the issues.

Sean