Python-like tabs instead of curley brackets?

Fri Oct 27 13:11:14 PDT 2006

Daniel Keep wrote:
> Another interesting thing is Lua code: it doesn't require you to use an
> explicit statement separator; it's smart enough to "know" where
> statements start and end.  And yet the majority of Lua code I've seen
> uses those redundant semicolons and parenthesis.  Why?  Not really sure;
> could be they're either so C-style brain-damaged they can't code without
> compulsively hitting those keys (must... insert... delimiters...), or
> they just like the additional explicitness.

Well, FWIW, when I first switched from a significant period of time of
C-like languages to another language (VB, for a school assignment. Don't
ask) I was automatically hitting ';' at the end of every statement.

Sort of the same thing happened when I coded in Pascal (well, Delphi
mostly) for a while, I hit ';' at the end of every statement (it's only
required as a statement _separator_ in Pascal, so it's unnecessary after
the last statement). Since it compiled I never stopped.
Of course, there you can justify it by the fact that it makes it easier
to add statements to a block :)

I guess it's just one of those things that, once learned, you keep doing
until you notice that the compiler you're using keeps complaining about
them :).