Making D better than other programming languages (warning: rant, drivel)

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Mon Oct 30 11:38:32 PST 2006

Dave wrote:
> Often I see that dynamic typing will mask errors, and make them a lot
> more time consuming to both debug and (sometimes) workaround once they
> are found. And often they make it through to production code as well.
>
> So I'm wondering if, in the grand scheme of things, dynamic typing
> really accounts for a 2.5x difference in productivity anyhow?

I've been using dynamic typing in the DMD front end in a few places, and
it's been a source of a couple bugs. I've been using type inference more
and more in D, and it's been eliminating bugs rather than causing them.
It's especially useful in foreach where I don't have to worry about
getting the element value or index type right, especially when the type
of the aggregate changes.