Eclipse plugin

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Mon Oct 30 16:30:59 PST 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Ary Manzana wrote:
>> I know, Walter, you think an IDE is something non-essential. But for
>> big projects it is *really* helpful.
>>
>> A good IDE, and some good core libraries, is what missing here (IMHO).
>>
>> Is anyone interested?
>
> I don't use IDEs. But their usefulness to others is immense, and getting
> an Eclipse plugin for D to work would be a big contribution to the D
> community. So yes, I'm interested.

I've played with Eclipse a little bit, and though I wasn't blown away by
it when compared with Visual Studio, it is *far* better than no IDE at all.
But I didn't see on your list the thing I would find most useful:
debugger support.

Actually I could do without a full-blown IDE if there were just a decent
visual debugger.  For writing code I'm fine with emacs, but debugging
via printfs is annoying.  And don't go telling me about that crashy
WinDbg thing -- it's just not up to snuff.

Regardless of my personal preferences, I agree that an Eclipse plugin is
probably the fastest and best way to get a full-fledged D IDE up and
running in the short term.

--bb