Eclipse plugin

Chad J gamerChad at _spamIsBad_gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 19:30:01 PST 2006

Frank Benoit (keinfarbton) wrote:
>>Actually I could do without a full-blown IDE if there were just a decent
>>visual debugger.  For writing code I'm fine with emacs, but debugging
>>via printfs is annoying.  And don't go telling me about that crashy
>>WinDbg thing -- it's just not up to snuff.
>

> Oh yes. A working debugger would be so great. Showing variable values in
> gdb/ddd. And a working backtrace.

I have seen posts on here from people who have written and posted
backtrace implementations.  shinichiro.h wrote one that I tried out,
even seems maintained since it's at v0.169 compatability (good job
shinichiro!).  Here is a link to that post:

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/32313.html

I installed it and within about 10 mins had working backtrace.  Works
with exceptions, access violations, asserts, and I dunno what else.  The
only thing it hasn't worked for me on so far was when I created an error
in a second thread - it couldn't backtrace that for whatever reason.

Apparently Maxime Larose also made a working backtrace implementation,
though I couldn't find the download link.
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/22967.html

It really bugs me that this exists and seems so trivial to install, yet
it is not included in phobos.  This could have saved me many many hours
of debugging time.  Yet it isn't in by default.  wth??