Eclipse plugin

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Tue Oct 31 16:18:16 PST 2006

Ary Manzana wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Is anyone interested in making a *great* eclipse plugin? A plugin
> similar to JDT.
>
> I know some IDEs out there exist, but none of them is really powerful.
> For example I think DDT is dead, or out of date.
>
> My intentions are:
>
> - To use Walter's code to make the parsing and build a model, since it's
> the only safe way to guarantee compliance with the current DMD compiler.
> Then diffing changes in the source should make changes in the plugin
> quite simple. (not to use ANTLR, for instance)
> - To document every public class, so that other people can join the
> project "easily". I took a look at the DDT code and I found just a
> little bit of comment... :-(
> - To use an architecture similar to the one JDT uses. DDT tried this,
> but I don't know what happened (most of the classes are empty!)... For
> example PHPEclipse uses many of JDT classes and interfaces (redefining
> them)... even keeping the same names! (i.e. IJavaElement)
> - To make things with patience. First do the parsing (port the parser),
> build a model and have an outline. Second singal syntax errors. Third
> signal simple semantic errors (I believe method "semantic" of Dsymbol...
> maybe "semantic2" and "semantic3" uses relationships between modules).
> Fourth, copy JDT architecture. Fifth, add renaming, refactoring,
> autocomplete, quick fixes, etc. ... In the middle of those points be
> able to compile everything :-P
>
> With patience I mean: take a deep look at how JDT is done, then put
> yourself to program.
>
> Fourtunately, I've already ported most of the parser (for D 0.168) to
> Java, I already build a model, have an outline view and singal simple
> syntax errors. Not just the line number, but the exact positions where
> the error is present. Also the plugin compiles automatically your code,
> but I still don't know how to link everything automatically (I'm missing
> some rule, I guess). And nothing more: I'm currently reading a lot of
> code from the JDT core plugin, and some Walter's code.
>
> I think a D plugin for eclipse would be of big utility to the D
> community. Since I started programing in Java with Eclipse I totally
> forgot about compiling, getting errors, fixing them, having to
> "find/search" to do refactoring, etc. And programming like that is so,
> so fast you only have to focus on your code, really.
>
> I know, Walter, you think an IDE is something non-essential. But for big
> projects it is *really* helpful.
>
> A good IDE, and some good core libraries, is what missing here (IMHO).
>
> Is anyone interested?

Hi, yes, I'm working on an Eclipse plugin too. I've started very
recently (about two weeks ago), so I don't have anything significant to
show yet, but I'm doing this as my degree final project, so I will be
working on it during all school year.

We definitely should talk and see if we can combine efforts, but the
approach I was thinking was to build a parser using ANTLR, similar to
what the previous eclipse plugins did (Blackbird, DDT). However, you
seem to be far ahead of I've done. You say you've converted the whole D
frontend to Java? (to descent\internal\core\dom\Parser.java I presume)
That must have been a lot of work. I'd actually like to know how long it
took for you to do that, and if it's working correctly. I'm gonna take a
better look at your code.

--
Bruno Medeiros - MSc in CS/E student