When is it time for a 1.0 feature freeze?

Ivan Senji ivan.senji_REMOVE_ at _THIS__gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 04:02:21 PDT 2006

Don Clugston wrote:
> Ivan Senji wrote:
>> Stewart Gordon wrote:
>>> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/39125.html
>>
>> I agree! That is the best proposal so far. I know Walter wants that to
>> be a 2.0 feature but it still doesn't make sense to me.
>> Array and struct initializers are more fundamental feature than
>> templates, delegates, lazyness, even classes, and they are going to be
>> missing from D1.0? Crazy!
>
> Those things would delay D1.0 by months. The idea is to declare D1.0
> quickly, and then move onto those things.

I know, and I wouldn't like that to happen but many other features have
been delaying D for years (not saying that I don't like them).

I don't have anything against D1.1 od D1.5 or even D2.0 having these
features but I am a little worried about what happens when D1.0 attracts
  new people and they must very quickly realize "what? D doesn't have
array and struct literals? What kind of a language is that?"

Is that kind of negative publicity bad or not I don't know but it might
make D feel incomplete. When you stay around D for a while you realize
it isn't that incomplete after all but for some people the first
negative impression is going to be the last impression they make of D.