When is it time for a 1.0 feature freeze?

Serg Kovrov kovrov at no.spam
Fri Sep 1 09:04:38 PDT 2006

* Ivan Senji:
> I don't have anything against D1.1 od D1.5 or even D2.0 having these
> features but I am a little worried about what happens when D1.0 attracts
> new people and they must very quickly realize "what? D doesn't have
> array and struct literals? What kind of a language is that?"

I'm more concerning about memory management scheme.

Most people I was talking to about D (and I agitate very fellow
programmer i personally know to at least try D)... firstly complains
about 'yet another language' syndrome. There is really nothing can be
done about it, you just have to convince them to not to stop discussion =)

Next, everyone from C/C++ camp (especially C) is just so-skeptical about
GC. All sort of things were already beaten to death here on NG. It is a
meter of personal taste and there is nothing can't be done either.

And then usually happens following: on my clumsy allegations that it is
not necessary to use GC, and with malloc/free one could manage memory
manually. Well, you know... Whom I trying to deceive, myself? It is
simply not so convenient to actually do so. And what about string
operations (concatenations, assignment etc), they use GC and i don't
know how to avoid it. Plus, standard library is hard-coupled with GC.
My point is that if not use GC programming with D is even more awkward
then C/C++.

But that not worst part. Although I'm personally from C++ camp and I get
used to GC. and see it as good thing. But, there is one big BUT!
Currently GC do not return memory to OS, and that thing even I can't
subdue. The only reason I choose 'native' (as opposite to VM)
programming language is effective resource usage. I hate Java/.net gui
applications because their memory consuming. I really appreciate
developers that choose c/c++ to write small, memory effective, but yet
feature-reach applications like FileZilla Server, uTorrent or Miranda IM.

Most desktop applications (like text editors, news readers, web
browsers, etc) must coexist with each other. That is, to use memory
wisely and give it back if it not needed anymore. This 'upper water
mark' approach in GC is just not acceptable.

All I actually can say to my fellow programmers in defense of D, is that
language still developing and eventually all good things happens. On
that point discussion usually ends and the bottom line is "nice
language, we will look at later, when/if it evolve".

And for GC, to fee memory back to OS is crucial to every one who care
about memory management. And ones who do not - whey will stay with their
Java/.net VM monsters and will newer even look at D. Besides, this type
of developers do not care about anything but their CV. Sure thing D will
not help them.

P.S. sorry for rather long post. I don't expect it myself to be so =)
--
serg.