suggestion: D Book Project

Chad J gamerChad at _spamIsBad_gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 20:33:10 PDT 2006

Lutger wrote:

> Lack of books and tutorials is one of the arguments people have to not
> try D. It's partly true I guess, especially for beginners / novices.
> Even with one reasonable good wikibook I think D will beat C++ as a
> first language - and a lot of people start with C++.

C++ as a first language, ouch.  I actually tried this.  The examples in
the book I was using didn't work.  I was too much of a newbie to
understand why.  C++ wasn't very intuitive.  The whole thing failed
miserably.  I've heard of other people learning C++ as a first, but I
still find it hard to imagine normal human beings doing this without
being taught in a class or some sort of interactive environment.

Eventually I just learned programming through the scripting language in
the EasyUO program.  It was useful, easy, and taught me some basic
programming.

I think D would make a pretty good starting language.  I looked at that
TOC, maybe mention build at some point when doing modules (chap 7)?  I'd
hate to have to invoke dmd on every .d file or (cringe) use makefiles.