Design Patterns == weakness in language

Hasan Aljudy hasan.aljudy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 19:25:54 PDT 2006

Brad Anderson wrote:
> This might be a bit OT, but I often wonder if D is going to succeed C/C++/Java
> long-term given that it's not abstracting away a majority of known design
> patterns.  Or, maybe that's just D 2.0 and we need to be patient.  <g>
>
> http://newbabe.pobox.com/~mjd/blog/2006/09/11/#design-patterns
>
> BA

Adding to Steve and David, I think the fundemental problem in the
article's arguments is that "design patterns" are not complicated tasks
that everone has to implement all the time.
Even if they were, it's still not neccessary to integrate them with the
language itself if it's possible to implement them in the standard library.
For example, everyone needs to output text to the screen, but why should
it be a part of the language itself when it could be implemented as a
library function?
Do most people write containors and iterators by themselves all the
time? Do they ever have to?

Comparing that with manually implementing subroutines in assembly is
redeclious.