Reflection Idea

Craig Black cblack at ara.com
Thu Sep 14 05:28:47 PDT 2006

Since DDL provides run-time reflection, and is finally ready to use, I
thought it would be a good time to share my idea to improve performance when
accessing metadata.

If we have an instance of a class and we want to it's metadata via a
reflection database, we should be able to query the reflection database
using a hash table lookup on the name of the class.

However, we could get the metadata more quickly if it was available via the
TypeInfo class.  This could be made possible very easily if the TypeInfo
class contained a reference to an IReflection interface.  This reference
could be set by the reflection database at program startup.  This would
provide a direct link to meta data for each class, and would make reflection
a first class citizen in D.

-Craig