Design Patterns == weakness in language

David Medlock noone at nowhere.com
Sun Sep 17 20:33:37 PDT 2006

Steve Horne wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 09:29:38 +0200, renox <renosky at free.fr> wrote:
>

>>The claim is that "16 of 23 patterns have qualitatively simpler
>>implementation in Lisp or Dylan than in C++ for at least some uses of
>>each pattern" which is a very different that claiming that design
>>patterns are unnecessary.
>

> 23 patterns?
>
> The GOF book has precisely 23 patterns. So presumably, the logic is
> that this set of patterns is definitive and they are the only patterns
> that exist...
>
> We must bow down to the most holy gods of GOF!
>
> We are not worthy!
> We are not worthy!
>
> I haven't laughed so much in ages!

Well since the GOF book is the most popular book on patterns, Norvig
attempted to emulate functionality in THOSE patterns.  You are laughing
at your own inferences.

 > So Lisp makes some Java patterns look a bit daft. So what? Lisp and
 > scheme and such have their own patterns and, shock horror, many of
 > them make no sense in Java or C++.

Where did anyone post that they didn't?  The point (since you missed it)
is that D is a successor to C++ and the OP was lamenting missing some of
those patterns in D.

 > Personally, though, I think David and his references just don't know
 > what a design pattern is.

Spoken like a true priest of the OOP church.  I have been programming
long enough and in enough paradigms to say I don't need your stamp of
approval, especially for posting what I thought was an interesting link
to the discussion at hand.

Its amazing how I post a simple link to some slides on Norvig's site and
the OOP zealots come out of the woodwork.

 > Now - if I went over to a Lisp newsgroup and said "so, this Lotsof
 > Infuriatingly Stupid Parentheses language of yours, I reckon its a
 > load of crap. Here are my badly thought out reasons." then that would
 > be me being a prat.

I doubt you even know why the parentheses even exist in Scheme or Lisp.

I don't know what a 'prat' is but what you have posted is definitely
prattle.  I think jumping all over me over a simple weblink is juvenile
at best.

I'm done.