Proposal for a standard for D library naming

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Tue Sep 19 01:20:15 PDT 2006

Gregor Richards wrote:

> Package names should be directly reflected in the file name of the
> library. Furthermore, the fact that this library is written in D
> should also be in the name of the library. To this end, the basic
> form is:
>
> libD.<package name>.<extension>

Why does the fact that it uses D have to be reflected in the name ?

I don't see any C++ libraries advertising that they are using that,
so I still need to remember to link them to libstdc++ or get errors.
Don't think it would be that bad to avoid prefixing them with "D.",
and instead get similar link errors from Phobos (and the D runtime).

So I would rather continue to name them as lib<name>.a/<name>.lib...

--anders