Proposal for a standard for D library naming

Gregor Richards Richards at codu.org
Tue Sep 19 06:30:02 PDT 2006

Anders F Björklund wrote:
> Gregor Richards wrote:
>>

>> The entire idea behind my naming proposal is that it makes everything
>> 100% computer and human generatable while adding very little
>> confusion.  Having things named lib<name>.<extension> makes
>> associating packages and libraries difficult.
>

> Think I missed the "auto-generated" part of the proposal... :-)
>
> Currently I have the "wx" modules defined in a libwxd.a (or wxd.lib),
> partly since wx is already the C++ library and wxc are the C wrappers.
>
> Guess I could change that to libD.wx.a, but it looks somewhat strange.

Yes, but if you've ever seen the naming convention, it would be easily
recognizeable.

Also, I wouldn't be particularly opposed to moving the 'D' to the end, I
just think that makes the suffixing a but confusing *shrugs*

>> Because C/++ don't have such a nice, structured package style, they
>> don't have a naming convention for library files (there really
>> couldn't be one), but I think that's a terrible reason to not use a
>> naming convention for D.  It would building, even against libraries,
>> ridiculously easy.
>

> Actually I don't find it that hard, and e.g. the difference in
> which flags to use between DMD and GDC to be more "trouble"...

Remember, the entire purpose of this is for a build tool (say, build) to
conform to a standard.  Only the build tool needs to figure out the
flags for DMD/GDC, the person compiling should get the libraries "for free."

> --anders

  - Gregor Richards