Proposal for a standard for D library naming

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Tue Sep 19 08:10:42 PDT 2006

Anders F Björklund wrote:
> Gregor Richards wrote:
>
>> Also, I wouldn't be particularly opposed to moving the 'D' to the end,
>> I just think that makes the suffixing a but confusing *shrugs*
>
> I think there is a Windows standard that libraries with d suffix
> means "debugging" versions, so a D prefix might actually be better.

This is true, and I agree.

>> Remember, the entire purpose of this is for a build tool (say, build)
>> to conform to a standard.  Only the build tool needs to figure out the
>> flags for DMD/GDC, the person compiling should get the libraries "for
>> free."
>
> I haven't gotten Build to work for me, so I am still using Make.
> To make things easier, I am using "gcc" to link - even for DMD.

I didn't use Build until recently, and now I wouldn't do without it.
Build makes using D similar to using Java but without the recompilation
issues--ie. it "just works".  If Build could be made to work with
different library designs in a clean and simple manner it would feel
like cheating.

Sean