Proposal for a standard for D library naming

Derek Parnell derek at psyc.ward
Sat Sep 23 19:38:29 PDT 2006

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 21:10:46 -0700, Gregor Richards wrote:

> Since there aren't many libraries for D (that is, builds that produce
> .so files or the ilk)

In fact, are there any? I vaguely remember reading that D does not yet
support the creation of .so files. Is that still the case?

Anyhow, let's break Gregor's proposal into two parts:
(a) creating shared libraries (DLL in Windows, .so in Linux, ? in other
*nix)
(b) using shared libraries in the build process

I will defer (a) until I know how to do it :-)

With (b) I'm willing to add this feature to Build but with idea that
failure to locate a library from a package name is not a failure to build.
I'm not convinced that Gregor's idea that every (top-level) package must
also be a library is a valid idea. I can imagine people still wanting to do
static linking of object files.

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia