Proposal for a standard for D library naming

Derek Parnell derek at nomail.afraid.org
Sun Sep 24 17:20:00 PDT 2006

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 17:14:06 -0700, Gregor Richards wrote:

> Derek Parnell wrote:
>> You still seem to be saying that the *only* place that module ought to
>> reside in is in libraries.
>
> Aha!  This is a core misunderstanding.  All of this library stuff is
> supposed to come well after failing to find it in an object file - the
> order in my head is: source files, object files, specified libraries,
> automatically-discovered libraries.  That is, it should FIRST look for
> source, then objects, and only if failing in both of those should it
> look at libraries - libraries are solely for things that are NOT
> included with the source!

Ok! So the example should be more like ...

Example:
   import a.b.c;

Looks for
    a.b.c.o
    libD.a.b.so
    libD.a.b.a
    libD.a.so
    libD.a.a

and places the first one it comes across onto the linker command line. If
it finds none of these, or finds that the source is more recent, it will
compile a.b.c.d to form an object file.

--
Derek
(skype: derek.j.parnell)