Dynamic binding -- Qt's Signals and Slots vs Objective-C

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 14:49:53 PDT 2006

Fredrik,
Thanks for this very informative reply.
It definitely seems from your explanations that just going for "Qt-style
signals and slots" in D is "aiming low", and that a basic dynamic
messaging system is more the level of abstraction you'd want.  And from
there you can implement Qt-style S&S easily, as you demonstrated.

However, I think taking a 2.5x speed hit (worse for a poorly optimized
implementation) for all method calls will be difficult for D users to
swallow.

It sounds like basically what is required in terms of per-class storage
is a second sort of vtable per class, a dynamic vtable.  Maybe more like
a dictionary/hash-table, but anyway you need some place to store
per-class mappings from messages to actual functions.  It could probably
be pointed to from the regular vtable in some manner so that each class
instance still only has the overhead of one vtable pointer.

You can go ahead and put every method in the dynamic dispatch vtable.
It's just per-class, so not a huge overhead.  Kind of like how every
non-private method in D is virtual.  Then I guess it needs to be the
caller's choice whether to use dynamic dispatch or static.  So a
separate syntax for making "message"-based calls, like Objective C uses.

Gotta go, but I think some sort of built-in dynamic dispatch mechanism
like this would have to be part of my "dream language".

--bb