Games people play

Brad Anderson brad at dsource.org
Thu Sep 28 09:08:39 PDT 2006

Pragma wrote:

[snip]

>> We only have to become the _preferred_ language in _one_ area! After
>> that it'll automatically follow that we gain other areas and a huge
>> general interest. ("If C is good enough for Unix itself, it has to be
>> a good language. -- If D is good enouhg for some of the best games
>> shops, it has to be a good language.")
>
> Agreed.  While I had a false start myself moving toward webapps for D, I
> think we're much closer than we were.  But add to that the current
> turbulence and quiet revolution we've seen in web design techniques, and
> things seem farther away than ever.

[snip]

Are you talking about Ajax here?  Frameworks like Rails / Django?  Just trying
to clarify your point here.  Assuming that Ajax is what you're referring to,
the need for a kick-ass server side remains, and it's where DSP could shine.
Kris has said that small mods to Mango could allow it to handle the different
demands of Ajax calls more effectively, as Jetty's new version does.  Couple
that with a really easy server-side framework that wraps up a bunch of WS
complexity and you're on your way.  Oooh, I'm getting OT again... shocking.

I'd like to put this delicately, but I'm not sure how.  In my mind, there's a
strength of development that exists in game devs that's not there in web devs
(maybe I'm just talking about myself ;) ).  However, I would guess the web
devs are out there in larger numbers.  Perhaps this crowd would benefit from
D's improvements and be the market Georg talks about.

BA