Basic functionality without GC

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Thu Sep 28 10:06:41 PDT 2006

Vladimir Kulev wrote:

> Ares developement is stalled, and I think Ares is unnecessary waste of time
> now. Phobos runtime is good enouth and it should be developed together with
> dmd.

For what it's worth, this was the primary goal of Ares and has been a
property of the library since its inception--the standard library,
garbage collector, and compiler runtime are all logically separate
components rather than being somewhat integrated as they are in Phobos.
  Therefore, I believe Ares may be a better starting point for such as
design than Phobos.

As for Ares development having stalled--I'll admit I've been too busy
with other projects recently to keep Ares up to date.  But I have spent
some time recently mulling over design changes that should make for a
much improved next release (which I plan to get to before too terribly
long).

> But attaching phobos framework is not good idea, because this
> slowdowns developing of such things like Mango, Ares framework, DTL and
> others.

Exactly.

Sean