Games people play

J Duncan jtd514 at nospam.ameritech.net
Thu Sep 28 12:21:19 PDT 2006

Excellent thread! Ive said before that D *SHOULD* be the future of game
development, and for some smart people it will be. Ive worked on several
commercial game projects and it occurs to me that a large bulk of our
engines were basically macros, templates, and patterns to implement many
of the idioms D currently contains (and sometimes java); basically, to
transform C++ into a 'better' language. And we still use C++ almost
exclusively for performance reasons. This is why D should fill this
space quite well. I tend to have a more laid back approach to all of
this however, I believe we have a lot of work to do regarding the
language infrastructure, and once that is in place the popularity will
take care of itself. Build it and they will come.

Also I noticed one of the things sweeny mentioned in the DNG was
persistent objects.... something we may be heading towards with DDL. So
the future is pretty bright and I feel that once we have some of these
world class features like reflection etc, many people will take a
serious look at D. And on that note ive noticed some people will
probably *never* be convinced that a language is better for them than
c++, this has something to do with human nature that I dont fully
understand. This is a big reason I stopped worrying about D popularity.

also as a big fan of QT, Id like to request a S&S mechanism; or some
sort of messaging pattern in the language. I think this would take D
"over the top!"