Games people play

Josh Stern josh_usenet at phadd.net
Thu Sep 28 12:44:06 PDT 2006

>> If game developers are to move to a different language than C++, this
>> has to be better, not the same.

As someone who has spent a lot of time using C++, I'm attracted
to D in part because I have a laundry list in my head of things that
I'd like fixed in C++ and D currently fixes a good percentage of those
and only backtracks in a few areas.  There's just no way D would have been
developed in its current shape by people who hadn't spent a lot of time
with C++ (though I wonder why so little love for const-correctness -
seems like an odd preference combo to add exception safety and lose this).
A lot of the improvements however are difficult to emphasize to casual or
non-developers.

Intuitively I think that a compile time option to only accept provably
memory-safe code would likely be a killer feature to drive C++ developer
adoption, though it might take a lot of work to get the compiler and
mainstream library practice smart enough to make it usable.