Games people play

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Thu Sep 28 13:34:15 PDT 2006

J Duncan wrote:
> Excellent thread! Ive said before that D *SHOULD* be the future of game
> development, and for some smart people it will be. Ive worked on several
> commercial game projects and it occurs to me that a large bulk of our
> engines were basically macros, templates, and patterns to implement many
> of the idioms D currently contains (and sometimes java); basically, to
> transform C++ into a 'better' language.

In big projects I've done in C++, a large part of the effort was doing
infrastructure things, things that are built in to D. How many times
have I done and redone and redone string classes, file handling,
collections, symbol tables, etc.

> And we still use C++ almost
> exclusively for performance reasons. This is why D should fill this
> space quite well. I tend to have a more laid back approach to all of
> this however, I believe we have a lot of work to do regarding the
> language infrastructure, and once that is in place the popularity will
> take care of itself. Build it and they will come.

Yes.

> Also I noticed one of the things sweeny mentioned in the DNG was
> persistent objects.... something we may be heading towards with DDL. So
> the future is pretty bright and I feel that once we have some of these
> world class features like reflection etc, many people will take a
> serious look at D. And on that note ive noticed some people will
> probably *never* be convinced that a language is better for them than
> c++, this has something to do with human nature that I dont fully
> understand. This is a big reason I stopped worrying about D popularity.

A large fraction of current C++ developers will never leave C++, no
matter what. Just like there are still people who never moved past C.
They'll always search for, and will find, some niche reason why C++ is
better no matter what advantages D has. That's just a fact of human
nature, and shouldn't bother us.

> also as a big fan of QT, Id like to request a S&S mechanism; or some
> sort of messaging pattern in the language. I think this would take D
> "over the top!"

While I appreciate and enjoy the enthusiasm, this is deja vu all over
again. My entire career in compilers (C, C++, D, Javascript, etc.) I've
heard people say that "if only you implemented X, it will open the
floodgates!" It never does, but what does work is to work with people
who are *already* D users who are blocked by the lack of something. With
S&S, I'd like to see first how far it can be pushed with existing D
techniques.