Walter: Before you go and implement the new RAII syntax..

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at nospam.org
Fri Sep 29 12:08:48 PDT 2006

Gregor Richards wrote:
> I hate to dredge up an old post, but I was just thinking about this and
> thought I'd point out one thing to anyone listening:
>
> RAII stands for Resource Allocation Is Initialization.  You can do RAII
> without automatically-deleted classes, it's just difficult.  For this
> reason, a keyword 'raii' would be inappropriate - what's being described
> is NOT RAII, it's just an incidental change that makes RAII more useful.
>  RDID (Resource Deallocation Is Destruction) is closer to what's being
> described, but still not spot-on: that has to do with the class
> definition, not the actual use of the class.  What's being described is
> simply an object associated with a scope.  In short: the changes
> described have nothing to do with RAII, they just make it more useful,
> so having a keyword 'raii' is nonsense.
>
> If I see a keyword 'raii' meaning anything like this at any point in the
> future, I'll be crying myself to sleep that night :P

If you get sleepless you might want to search the D newsgroup archives
here on RAII. I promise you you'll be both crying and laughing the rest
of the night.

What got beaten to death were: the meaning of the acronym, various
suggestions to replace it, the entire subject, the guy who's originally
introduced the acronym, and half of the participants' keyboards. ;-)

To comfort: you're not alone with your feeling.