Signals and Slots in D

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Fri Sep 29 23:15:13 PDT 2006

Georg Wrede wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> Georg Wrede wrote:
>>
>>> Having instead an external entity to handle SS reduces drastically
>>> the number of needed connections.
>>

>> Having a global entity do this has some advantages, but some
>> significant disadvantages. The biggest is handling things in the
>> presence of DLLs and shared libraries.
>
> Ehh, "does not compute: add information"!
>
> I'm not pursuing a global entity for it's own sake, I just can't see any
> other way to reduce the number of interconnections.
>
> And, especially, I wouldn't ever have expected to see it as a
> disadvantage with DLLs. (Or SLs.)
>
> Please enlighten.

An external entity would be a global, singleton, entity. Since DLLs (and
shared libraries) might be shared with other languages, they'll need
their own global entity. But if there are multiple D DLLs, then there
are multiple global entities. Who's in charge? Fixing this is not
impossible, it's just added complexity and risk of bugs, and I'm not
sure it will reduce interconnections anyway (because it'll need a fast
reverse lookup anyway).