Newsgroups & Discussions

Alexander Panek a.panek at brainsware.org
Sun Apr 1 03:03:41 PDT 2007

Justin C Calvarese wrote:
> Georg Wrede wrote:
>> Alexander Panek wrote:
>>> Hello NG citizens,

>> I think (or should I say, my guess is) that it's about the recent
>> shift of power in D development. In the old days, it was this NG, and
>> none but this NG that was the source, the forum and the ultimate
>> judge, of what was and was not to become D features.
>
> The newsgroup was the place to discuss possible changes, but there was
> no confusion that Walter was the one who made the actual decision.
>
>> Today, it seems, the majority of new decisions are created outside
>> this NG, and handed to us "as given". And most of the time it's Andrei
>> that first tells us about the things.
>
> The majority of new decisions have always been made outside of the
> newsgroup, but we'd all find out when we read Walter's surprising post
> in the newsgroup.
>
> But now it seems like Walter has a spokesperson who makes the
> announcements for him.
>
>> I would downright expect this to *piss off* quite some participants. I
>> for myself have taken a vacation here (as the regulars probably have
>> noticed) because I feel D is in /very good and competent hands now/.
>>
>> Before Walter brought Andrei really into this, I kept writing that we
>> really need some Academic Rigor, Thorough Insight, and Profound
>> Diligence, at this stage of D development. After some 12-18 months of
>> this, Andrei suddenly started participating. Thank you, Walter!
>>
>> I think that JCC could corroborate this by finding the appropriate
>> quotes (man, did I ever see a person more adept at that! But, please
>> don't do it JCC, this time I'm rhetoric!)
>
> There's no need to drag me into this. I'll let you do your own research. ;)
>
> I don't know what's going on here. I've known Kris and John for quite a
> while from their involvement in D projects, and I trust that they don't
> have any agenda except to improve D and spread the joy of D. But other
> people might have other goals.
>
> In any case, I don't see any signs that the D community is splitting
> into 2 factions (as the OP seems to suggest): pro-Phobos and pro-Tango
> (or anti-Tango and pro-Tango). If anything, it just seems to be some
> sort of nebulous disagreement between Kris and Andrei.

Hopefully. I've just seen those threads got out of hand a bit,
especially the last one deep down in a subsubsubsubmessage. Sure, it
happens all the time everywhere that some people just can't come to a
consensus on one topic, but that's no reason to "go on the warpath"
(this sounds way more evil in English, than the pendant to that phrase n
German :P).

I just wanted to appeal against verbal violance and a fractal
newsgroup.. :P ;)