Automated page translation with Google

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Sun Apr 1 04:07:12 PDT 2007

Walter Bright wrote:

>> Maybe you didn't notice, but none of the most successful IDE has been
>> translated into Italian, and so no Italian documentation has been
>> written for them.
>
> Most of the interest in translations seems to come from spanish,
> portugese and japanese programmers. I have no idea if this is
> coincidence or not.

Just a minor correction, portuguese is spoken (mainly) in Portugal and
Brazil, and that translation on the D site was made by a brazilian
programmer, not a portuguese one, cause it's written in brazilian
portuguese.
Regarding the interest in translation, it varies from country to
country, as we all know, japanese people in geral don't speak english
well or at all. In Spain, english speaking is not that common as well
(altough not so much as in Japan). In Portugal people are more familiar
with english than Spain. It's common in Portugal that technical people,
or young people, are confortable understanding, or even speaking
English, while in Spain it's uncommon. An interesting thing to note: in
Spain foreign movies are dubbed, in Portugal they are not. I think that
is a factor in how well a population is receptive to a foreign (english)
language.
In Brazil I'm not sure what it's like, although I think people are just
as familiar with english as in Portugal.

--
Bruno Medeiros - MSc in CS/E student