stdio line-streaming revisited

Dave Dave_member at pathlink.com
Sun Apr 1 11:36:41 PDT 2007

kris wrote:

> FWIW: if some of those "Language Shootout" tests are IO-bound, perhaps
> tango.io might help? Can't imagine they'd apply that as a "language"
> test, but stranger things have happened before.

FWIW: I think it's worth a lot <g> If D could come out convincingly on top for common I/O bound
stuff, and do so with a "more modern" API than a C stdio clone, I would think that would be worth
something to quite a few people.

IIRC, making the I/O as fast as C was time-consuming for quite a few of the current programs -- more
so than even the GC. Even for the programs where I/O is not a "bottleneck" (but where I/O was
involved), the faster implementation would still cut the overall time a bit anyway.

Alas, since Tango is not part of the std. distribution, I think they'd be very reluctant to add it -
not only because of the extra workload for them, but simply because it's not considered std. for D.
OTOH, they did add gmp4d for the pidigits test, but I think that was because it was easy to add via
CVS, use through an altered command-line and there wasn't an alternative. If the same could be done
for Tango, hmmm, perhaps...

- Dave