stdio line-streaming revisited

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Sun Apr 1 17:11:22 PDT 2007

Dave wrote:

> I'd like to suggest this: Distribute both phobos and Tango on equal
> footing with the D distributions, and have the compiler link both in by
> default (with a switch to link only one):
>
> - Walter and David Friedman could automate the build process to grab the
> latest Tango.
> - Some overlapping areas (like the GC) would have to be resolved somehow
> (Tango team - how tough would this be?).

The compiler runtime is a logically separate entity in Tango.  Some
cooperation would be necessary for the development of new back-end
functionality, etc, but the compiler runtime could theoretically be
maintained entirely separate from the rest of the library if Walter
and/or David chose to do so.  That said, updating the Tango runtime for
new compiler releases is generally fairly straightforward, so a shift in
responsibility would probably just change the update process rather than
simplify it.

Sean