Newsgroups & Discussions

Lutger lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 04:36:42 PDT 2007

Lionello Lunesu wrote:
> Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>> Hum, BTW, let me recommend this Google presentation that featured on
>> slashdot some time ago:
>> "How Open Source Projects Survive Poisonous People "
>> http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=-4216011961522818645
>> Note that the talk is more than just about "poisonous people", but
>> community management in general.
>> (And just to be 100% clear, I'm not calling poisonous to anyone, I
>> didn't even read that stdio/standard-libs threads, so I don't know
>> what went on there)
>>

> What the h*** are "poisonous people"? Is it some kind of terrorist?
>
> L.

It's just a catchy frase about a very normal thing: people who drain
human resources (time and focus) from a project and not always on
purpose. It's a good video with well presented insights of group
dynamics, applicable to any kind of community.
The only thing that is a pity is exactly this, it's not about dealing
with 'poisonous people' perse, as if they were some kind of different
breed, it's about (mostly technical) community / group management and
disruptions. There is something potentially 'poisonous' in all of us,
which is well worth remembering.