English vs. Esperanto

Kevin Bealer kevinbealer at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 22:42:24 PDT 2007

Stewart Gordon wrote:
> Walter Bright Wrote:
>
>> torhu wrote:
>>> Walter Bright wrote:
> <snip>
>>> This isn't quite true.  English is 'successful' because of
>>> the dominating position of the US, and earlier the UK.
> <snip>
>> I did say one reason - there are many.  Some languages look
>> inward, not wanting to accept foreign words.  English, as you
>> say, is mostly foreign words.  Like the blob, English tends to
>> absorb whatever it comes in contact with <g>.
>
> Interesting.  But where does that put Esperanto, with its basic vocabulary
 > being a mixture of languages but having compound words (and
translations of
 > Latin abbreviations) all its own?
>
> Stewart.

A few steps behind Klingon, I would expect.

But (slightly more) seriously, Esperanto seems like a cautionary tale
for those who would design computer (and other synthetic) languages,
in that it tried to solve a compatibility problem without actually
motivating anyone to adopt it in any material way.  It has aesthetics
but no special 'killer features'.

Now, if esperanto had array slicing...

Kevin