Legal/Permission Question

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Tue Apr 3 19:21:10 PDT 2007

Walter Bright wrote:

> If you're going to clone a function, you can't use someone else's
> copyrighted code as a guide. Even just looking at it could cause
> 'taint', which is why I never look at or work on gcc.

The whole situation is kind of a mess.  Say a programmer creates a
parser for one company and then later is hired by another company for
which he also produces a parser.  Assuming the first company retains the
rights to the parser created there, the programmer has no way to avoid
'taint'.  Worse, a person tends to solve a given problem in a consistent
fashion, so two applications created from scratch by the same person
will naturally have structural similarities.  And whether or not a case
concerning this could hold up in court, there is enough confusion about
copyright law that it can actually come up.  Truth be told, I've
considered leaving the professional software sector altogether and do
this purely as a hobby simply to avoid such issues.

Sean