BLADE 0.2Alpha: Vector operations with mixins, expression templates, and asm

David B. Held dheld at codelogicconsulting.com
Thu Apr 5 01:21:09 PDT 2007

Don Clugston wrote:
> [...]
> But with the proposed changes to 'const', macros, and previous
> discussion about whether tuples should be automatically flattened, I
> have doubts over how stable that part of the language is. I wouldn't
> want to write something that didn't compile any more, or looked
> hopelessly obsolete by the time it was published.
> I've been bitten before -- CTFE blasted almost all of my previous
> metaprogramming code into the stone age <g>. What's the shelf life of
> this stuff?.

Well, hopefully, if Walter breaks your code again, it will be to make it
even more elegant (although, that will be a bit of a trick, I admit).
Eventually, the language will be so powerful that you can't make your
code any more compact, and then you won't have to worry about it getting
broken.  To be honest, I'd like to see an article about this in CUJ.  I
don't know if they would publish it or not, but if they did, I guarantee
it would make more than a few people take a hard look at D.

Dave