Legal/Permission Question

Thu Apr 5 01:36:46 PDT 2007

David B. Held wrote:
> If I had to guess, I would say that English is not his first language.
> This is typically given away by the non-standard font.  If you look at
> the domain of his email address, you might get an idea where he's coming
> from: http://126.com/

Actually, he doesn't use a non-standard font. His header doesn't specify
the font in any way except in that he uses charset=gbk, which my
Thunderbird tells me means the message encoding is "Chinese Simplified
(GBK)".
The non-standard font you're seeing is probably the same thing I had the
first couple of times I read his posts: Thunderbird has separate font
settings for Western/Simplified Chinese/Japanese/Hebrew and lots of
others. So the font may already be the same in other newsgroup clients.
Anyway, if it annoys you as much as it annoyed me, you can set your
Simplified Chinese fonts to the same as Western in the preferences[1]
(fixed it for me).

[1]: Edit -> Preferences -> Display -> tab Fonts -> button "Fonts..."
(on my Linux box, IIRC there may be a different place for the
preferences dialog on Windows)