A new class -->String

Jari-Matti Mäkelä jmjmak at utu.fi.invalid
Fri Apr 6 01:03:44 PDT 2007

David B. Held wrote:

> Jari-Matti Mäkelä wrote:
>> [...]
>> I'm sure we all agree on that. Extending previously closed classes is a
>> valuable feature in modern object oriented programming.
>> [...]
>
> The free vs. method syntax proposal I mentioned earlier is not
> equivalent to extending closed classes.

You're right and I wasn't referring to that anymore ;)

> The latter would imply the
> ability to add virtual functions and method overloads outside the
> definition of the class, or accessing private members, which are not
> possible under this proposal.

What I had in mind was that view + impl. conversion approach. In D it might
be possible to do that all statically. Adding new members and overloading
old would be possible, but I'm not sure if accessing private or even
protected members through this mechanism is the right choice.